[teacherartexchange] Enrichment classes

---------

From: mbortzfield (zbort_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 01 2008 - 06:24:04 PDT

I am interested to know if anyone offers an after-school enrichment program
for 4th and 5th grade students, and how you determine who is invited to
participate?

My district has been running a talented program for years which includes
music, physical education and visual arts. The program was in place prior to
my tenure and I have willingly continued - actually I look forward to it
every year trying out new and advanced projects. Each elementary school
runs the program, but each is handled a little differently. In the past, I,
along with the phys ed and music teacher, have been able to invite small
groups of students that we determine show interest and talent to work on
extended challenging projects within each discipline. We have an allotment
of hours (18) each in which we may use in anyway for our programs. For
example; I hold two sessions a year with 10 different students each
session. The project is never the same, but one session is always a clay
project. Due to a change in administration at our school things are
changing. Our new administrator wants to level out the program and offer an
enrichment program to only 5th grade, and everyone is to be invited to at
least one by a lottery system. Apparently, "talented" is discriminating and
not allowed.

I have never chosen the same student twice, by the end of 5th grade I have
had the opportunity to work closely with the students that I recommend for a
challenge program in the middle school ( a list of students requested each
year by the middle school administration). Plus, I work with my colleagues
to make sure we are not choosing the same students for our programs in a
marking period, however, some students are invited into more than one in a
year.

Unless we can produce a document stating criteria on how we select the
students I will not be able to continue the program as it has been, and I
may miss the students that are anticipating being in the program. Oh, the
administrator is not going to allow any changes or switching so if the
student chooses not to participate in the program they were given they are
out of luck.

Any suggestions?