Re: [teacherartexchange] Classroom Management

---------

From: Peggy Woolsey (eoolspeg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 01 2008 - 05:45:21 PDT

Hi Melissa,
I think you have started a good thread as classroom management can be
such a big issue. I would like to suggest one smallish thing that has
made a big difference to me over the years. I assign each and every
student a duo-tang, color coded for each class, at the beginning of
the term (I teach high school). I tell students that this is the
major interface between them and me in so far as marks are concerned.
Everything goes in there--from list of required materials, l class
rules, syllabus etc, to rubrics, exercises and self-assessments for
large projects. All marking appears on the inside back cover. It's
all there in black and white. At parent teacher conferences, I haul
up the box of duo-tangs and parents can get a sense of we are doing
in class as well as the marks their child is getting. Now this
concept is going online with a program called EdLine which all
teachers at my school willl be responsible for come October. I will
still keep my duo-tangs though. They don't take up much space in the
room and they are good feed-back.
Peggy Woolsey