RE: [teacherartexchange] Tipi Painting

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (HillmJan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2007 - 12:50:08 PDT

Hi,

Maybe your classes could come up with their own set of symbols and tell
a story about something important at your school. That way, the
students begin to feel the idea of culture and symbol and nomadic folks,
without just grabbing what can be copied.

Jan in Tampa

I think your classes should look up native american dyes made of brown
onion skin,
teas, ocher etc. and do it the old way. If they fade, they can repaint
next year.

Our fourth grade class studies Native American's every year and the
school has a large heavy canvas tipi that they are going to let the kids
decorate this year.