[teacherartexchange] Pinwheels for Peace - Plan A and Plan B

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2007 - 11:07:45 PDT

Hello Art Educators,

I am so glad ArtsEducators list had a discussion on how to make the
pinwheels spin - how to assemble. I thought I had mine all figured
out.... Got dowel rods cut to 16" (48" dowel cut into thirds).....
bought eraser tops for them.... have ball headed pins.... got my
pinwheels laminated.....cut them all out - pre-drilled all of the pin
holes.....and all set to go.

Wrong (chuckles) - I got my pinwheels laminated at Office Max
(FREE)....Their roll laminator was down so they use the sheet fed
laminator which has very thick film.
I assembled one pinwheel as planned (stuck pin through holes and
eraser - bent end of pin down) - and BING! off flew the pin head and
Peace sign. Never did find the Peace sign.

So now I am headed to Hobby Lobby to buy some eye pins and beads -
thanks to some one's suggestion on ArtsEducators. I will probably have
to drill holes in the dowels too...will have to see if the erasers
work.

Will post pictures of our "installation" at church. I printed Bible
verses on the reverse side (that have the word PEACE accented) so all
folks had to do was color the top side. We will have a small
installation this year - only got about 26 returned. I bought some 1"
x 4" X 4 ft wood to "plant" them in - just in case we get rain
(drilling holes in the wood strips). Will display inside if it rains.
I will display them in the sanctuary on Sunday, too.

Peace,

Judy Decker