[teacherartexchange] Irene needs help with elementary after school groups

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2007 - 10:19:21 PDT

Dear TeacherArtExchange Members,

I am posting this for Irene....Her post won't go through.

Subject: Needing elementary suggestions for after-school groups
Hello!

I am newly retired after 30 years of teaching art at a middle school
and now I will be working with very young children in after school art
classes two days a week in a different district. Each class will be
an hour and fifteen minutes in length! (Isn't that long for
kindergarten and first grade???) The students will be grouped by age
from K-5.

I have never worked with such young children, even when student
teaching! Any suggestions? Any dos and don'ts? Any projects that
have been definite "winners" in your classroom? I really feel like a
first year teacher!

My interests are in painting, collage, stitchery, dolls, altered
books, illustration, and drawing. I was thinking of doing altered
books with the oldest group (I have five weeks per session), but did
not know if this would be of interest to them.

When I retired, I gave away all of my School Arts magazines, books,
etc. I could sure use them now!

Thanks for any help!

Irene