[teacherartexchange] 1st year teacher in elem.- how to make up my curriculum without running myself down!?

---------

From: Tanya Stanger (tanyastanger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2007 - 16:08:23 PDT

Hello to all,
This is my first year teaching. I have a position in an elementary school, I am teaching Pre-K to 5th grade and would really appreciate your help on how to create a curriculum for all these grades with out running myself down. I have been told that working in the same medium with all the grades is a good place to start and also working on the same topics/themes but of course scaling the topics up and down and making other adjustments is a good way to go. I just feel that I am going to run myself down and feel completely overwhelmed if I am working on many different topics and with many different mediums at once. I teach all the grades in a day and in a row generally- for ex: Pre-K to a 4th to 1st to 3rd, etc. I do not want to limit the art experience I will be giving my students by offering a curriculum/lessons that are similar to each other. I want to make the lessons fitting for each grade with regard to topic and medium but on a personal level, I just don't know if
I can handle it and would love to hear how you all handle it and also if you are a 1st year teacher or remember when you were, how did you handle the 1st year. Thanks so much. The support I receive here is the best support I am getting right now. Thanx. Tanya, Brooklyn, NY.