[teacherartexchange] Pinwheels for Peace - using technology

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2007 - 06:14:29 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

International Peace Day is Friday, September 21.
Join in Pinwheels for Peace:
http://www.pinwheelsforpeace.com/

There will be pinwheels spinning at my church this year!
I just officially joined this church last October.

I have Bible verses with PEACE accented printed on the inside of the
pinwheel (I had way more Bible verses with the word peace in them than
I needed). On the other side, church members will be designing one
section of the pinwheel - then transferring it to the pinwheel to
color. Those who do not have time to color will give me their design
and I will scan it in - copy and paste in four times (rotating it to
fill the pin wheel) then I will color it with Photoshop.

I have printed the pinwheel on tag board and am having our local
Office Max laminate them. They are laminating them for free (I had
them to do printing of the tag board. Of course, you can use your
school photocopier).

If you are interested in trying this.....print off your pinwheel
template on tag board. Measure the margins.... set up a Word document
for the writing using the measurement of the margins on the template.
Students could write their own message for Peace - or use Peace quotes
- or use Word Design.... whatever. This is the inside of the pinwheel.
I designed one section of the pinwheel outside. Outlined it with black
Sharpie - scanned it in (because I am not good at using computer
drawing programs) - then copied and pasted it into square image the
same size as my template and colored it with Photoshop (much faster
than using markers !). I printed the color image on my template
(measuring to match up the margins - inserted my image into a Word
file to print). Total time for me to make my pinwheel was twenty
minutes (although your kiddies may take longer). I know there are many
tech/art people out there who can figure out an easier way to do them
digitally.
This is just how I did it. Not knowing how much time the assemblage of
the pinwheels will take, I only made thirty. If all goes well.... I
will start the project sooner next year so I will have more help
getting them ready.

If there are any members out there who teach at a private school and
can use my Bible verses, reply to me off list and I will send them to
you. I got them from Bible Gateway.

Those of you not at a private school, might be able to sneak one in
with your famous Peace quotes?

On another note.... I have my own one woman art show now...... at my
church. I took in an assortment of 2-D work and some of my ceramics. I
am hoping to start something up with more members sharing their art. I
will let you know how it goes. I am also going to get an Altered Book
Tip In exchange going with church members. Several are interested.

Regards,

Judy Decker