[teacherartexchange] "Recycling" - second hand tablecloths and old sheets "murals"

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2007 - 07:27:59 PDT

TeacherArtExchange Members,

Peter has asked me to post this for him.....

From Peter:

I am going to start the year with communal drawing using sharpies and
work on several used tablecloths and old sheets. I did this with 4-7
year olds at the Beaverbrook Art Gallery this summer and it worked
very well. We made several on the theme of monsters - after looking at
some monster drawings of Jill Henderson as well as reading some
monster books. The second workshop, we brainstormed about all the
things that a garden might include and then drew- this created a rich
detailed garden mural (?) which we have hung and also used as a
tablecloth.

The cloths really worked out well and were an easily managed
co-operative project. Also -materials were so-ooo inexpensive and easy
to store.

Peter Gorham -in New Brunswick