Re: [teacherartexchange] Teaching art to at risk kids

---------

From: Dulcius (dulcius_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2007 - 18:35:55 PDT

I just finished teaching my 7th year at a charter school that serviced many
of the types of students that it sounds like you will be dealing with. The
first couple of years were really hard, but I had great support from my
admin, and that really helped. Also, I found that being there for that long
was a big benefit - it showed them, I think, that I was committed to them;
also, I got a reputation for being fair and consistent which is also
invaluable. I am so proud of the work I was able to do at that school and
am really missing many aspects of it. To see the successes when the
students achieved them was really inspiring. Let me know if I can help you
in any way.
Lydia in Toledo
formerly of Alliance Academy of Toledo