Re: [teacherartexchange] Teaching art to at risk kids

---------

From: jjennifer west (jenniferjoycewest_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2007 - 18:10:22 PDT

Yes, I have experience working with this group. It
was actaully my favorite job ever, but it didn't start
out that way. You should know that sometimes the
hardest avenues leave you with the greatest reward,
but you need to understand how to work with them, and
in order to do that, you need to know your kids really
well. Are they violent? Are they abused? What
baggage are they coming in with? You need to know
these things so that you can set up your classroom
appropriately. You may be required to keep all sharp
tools locked up, or that kids may not be able to go
into a locked room (such as a bathroom) alone. You
need to know all of things. Once it gets down to the
kids, then you need to know that they probably will
not automatically trust you, and that you have thier
best interest in mind. It depends on thier history
with adults. So, you need to give it time, but be
consistent and firm in your classroom rules. There
may be some kids that will need a more specific
behavior plan, and you will need to set that up with
them. Anyhow, you may know all of these things
already, but the main point is that you need to know
as much as you can about these kids as possible. Hope
that helps, it is a very special job. Good luck. Jen