Re:[teacherartexchange] [ArtsEducators] Article about Color Words

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2007 - 18:34:57 PDT

Judy,
        Thank you for posting the article on color names.
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/ae/articles/
0805color0805names.html
        In several watercolor workshops I've come to learn that paint
manufactures
put the colors number on the tubes of paint. This is a great help to
artists when the
names may change but the color is the same. Or finding out if the
pigment is
pure (a single hue) or just a mixture.

Here is a link to an article about the color numbers:
http://painting.about.com/od/paintingforbeginners/ss/
PaintTubeLabel_3.htm

The article begins:

Every pigment has a unique color index name, consisting of two
letters and some numbers.
It's not a complex code, the two letters stand for the color family
e.g. PR = red, PY = yellow,
PB = blue, PG = green. This, plus the number, identifies a specific
pigment. For example,
PR108 is Cadmium Seleno-Sulfide (common name cadmium red), PY3 is
Arylide Yellow
(common name hansa yellow).

For artists and teachers who wish to explore this system - I suggest:
http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/waterfs.html

The handprint web site is the best resource on everything concerning
watercolor.
                                                        Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net