Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re:[teacherartexchange] [ArtsEducators] Article about Color Words

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2007 - 18:34:57 PDT

        Thank you for posting the article on color names.
        In several watercolor workshops I've come to learn that paint
put the colors number on the tubes of paint. This is a great help to
artists when the
names may change but the color is the same. Or finding out if the
pigment is
pure (a single hue) or just a mixture.

Here is a link to an article about the color numbers:

The article begins:

Every pigment has a unique color index name, consisting of two
letters and some numbers.
It's not a complex code, the two letters stand for the color family
e.g. PR = red, PY = yellow,
PB = blue, PG = green. This, plus the number, identifies a specific
pigment. For example,
PR108 is Cadmium Seleno-Sulfide (common name cadmium red), PY3 is
Arylide Yellow
(common name hansa yellow).

For artists and teachers who wish to explore this system - I suggest:

The handprint web site is the best resource on everything concerning

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

Read My Blog:

See my newest watercolors:

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons