[teacherartexchange] my web site for throwing

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2007 - 05:37:01 PDT

If your students are looking for a web site to help practice their throwing skills, I suggest this URL.
http://www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/throw/cover39.html

Scrolling down on this page provides 5 additional reminders and 7 sub-points for students who are having a particularly difficult time CENTERING the clay.
http://www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/throw/a24.html

This LEARNING to THROW site does nothing to encourage creativity. That will be up to you, the teacher. I simply clarify some PRECISE hand positions to maximize your ability to control the clay on the wheel. Most of the photos show my hands in the same perspective as I see the clay while working---not from the view of a spectator as most books and videos show.

Many of you have learned other hand positions. While other positions also work fine for experienced potters, in teaching beginners for 45 years, I have found that these positions are easier to master than any of the alternative hand and body positions I have tried teaching. Using the BODY instead of the hands for strength helps prevent wrist damage and makes it possible for nearly anybody to control clay on the wheel.

"I want to let you know that your step by step thumbnail pics with descriptions are wonderful. I already plan to change my hand positioning technique as a result of reading your site. I will refer to your pics again and again, I am sure!" ---an email received from a student

Marvin Bartel