[teacherartexchange] Copyright case of interest - National Geographic sued

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2007 - 08:27:02 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

This case was posted on Net Gold Yahoo list. I thought you might find
it interesting.
National Geographic Copyright Case Reopens
http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1188550951795

From the article:

"The Aug. 30 decision to vacate the latest ruling in Greenberg v. The
National Geographic Society means that the 11th Circuit could
reinstitute a conflict between the 11th and the 2nd Circuits about
whether publishers, specifically National Geographic, may reproduce
publications in digital CD-ROM format without paying more royalties to
freelance photographers for additional use of their work."

"In 2001 in the 11th Circuit, the Birch panel found for the
photographers, specifically dismissing arguments offered by National
Geographic that a 30-disc CD-ROM set containing reproductions of every
National Geographic magazine was not a new product but was merely a
reprint of a previously published work."

I guess this explains why I haven't been able to purchase any updates
to my CD-Rom library (smile).

FYI - I wrote to National Geographic twice requesting permission to
use their images in collage...Never heard back from them. Continue to
keep those magazines out of the landfills.... recycle into new an
interesting art.

Regards,

Judy Decker