[teacherartexchange] Arts Advocacy - Art for Our Sake (Boston Globe Article)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2007 - 05:47:12 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I know I saw this posted yesterday - but can not remember which list (smile).
Nan posted it to TAB Choice list - so that is where I may have first read it.
Art for Our Sake
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2007/09/02/art_for_our_sake/
School arts classes matter more than ever - but not for the reasons you think
By Ellen Winner and Lois Hetland

These are the two researches who found that the arts do not
necessarily raise test scores.....(a study done maybe two years ago?)

"There is, however, a very good reason to teach arts in schools, and
it's not the one that arts supporters tend to fall back on. In a
recent study of several art classes in Boston-area schools, we found
that arts programs teach a specific set of thinking skills rarely
addressed elsewhere in the curriculum - and that far from being
irrelevant in a test-driven education system, arts education is
becoming even more important as standardized tests like the MCAS exert
a narrowing influence over what schools teach."

There was an article a while back in New York Times. (enter their
names in Google - lots of stuff comes up).

Regards,

Judy Decker