Re: [teacherartexchange] New Art Room Lighting and Furniture Suggestions Wanted

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 02 2007 - 16:29:32 PDT

>. . . What is the best kind of lighting to get in this situation? So far, it's still cement walls with wiring and plumbing roughed in, so I can still put in a request. . . .
>
>Thanks, Shayne

I like lighting for drawing and sculpture that is somewhat directional rather than the overall uniform lighting provided by typical classroom lighting. It is good to be able to see highlights and shadows.

For good energy efficiency I would suggest high efficiency fluorescent fixtures. Fluorescent lights can now be specified as high efficiency, instant on, silent fixtures, with daylight color balance. Even fluorescent lights can be made directional by the way the fixtures are placed in the room and by the way the switches control them. However, in most classrooms they provide light that is too even, and many of them make an annoying sound.

Halogen lights are more directional, are quiet, and are available in daylight tone. The Halogen bulbs cost more, they are hot, and energy would costs more than for energy efficient fluorescent fixtures. Still, it is nice to have a few halogen fixtures that can be aimed at the still life set ups and models.

Perhaps in the near future LED lights or some other invention will be better. LED bulbs are now the most efficient and long lasting white lights, but initial cost of bulbs is still too expensive to be cost effective in a classroom.

This site has more ideas on the special needs of art classroom design.
http://www.goshen.edu/art/ed/artroom.html

Marvin Bartel