Re: [teacherartexchange] New Art Room Lighting and Furniture Suggestions Wanted

---------

From: jjennifer west (jenniferjoycewest_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 02 2007 - 08:36:06 PDT

I just went through a whole thread of discussion on
the art room furniture issue with this group, so you
might want to go to the archive and look it up to see
what everyone said. But, as far as furniture goes,
the concensus on the tables seemed to be science
tables. I know you said price was an issue, but you
should make it clear to the board that if they want
the tables to last, they need to get the ones with the
solid resinus core, NOT the laminate top. the
difference in price is minimal, and the quality
difference is huge. Alot of people were reccommending
stools for chairs, but I find them very distracting in
that kids lean around on them and fall off of them,
sometimes for attention in the middle of you talking
or other inopportune times. Most of the tables have
pretty standard sizes if you research them, and then
if you do a built in counter you can make that the
same height. I would not have cubbies or shelves in
the tables because they just turn into places for
garbage. As far as lighting goes, I would research
natural light bulbs and lighting systems. I know they
make them in the form of smaller daylight bulbs for a
lamp in your home, I don't know about larger, but this
is really important to get accurate colors in your
paintings if you are going to do any color thoery/etc.
 If you cannot get a large classroom lighting system
like this, you may want to consider getting a lot of
clip lights with these daylight bulbs so that when you
are working in color you can turn off the large
florescent and work with the natural light. Hope this
helps. good luck! Jen in CA.