Re: [teacherartexchange] frustration -- ESL student

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2007 - 00:16:24 PDT

That's awesome, Sharon. I love that assignment. I think I will try it, too.

Yes, I do have tremendous respect for these kids, too. The little
girl in my class is part of a missionary program that helps to educate
children in Guatemala and send them back there to try to better the
economic opportunities in that country. So she's staying with a host
family who she doesn't even know... that has to be scary! She's only
in the 9th grade, and has only started learning English over the
summer. Bless her heart, she is as sweet as can be, but the language
barrier is really killing me.

I think I am going to start asking the parent volunteer group if
anyone could volunteer to be a translator, at least until the two of
us start learning words and ways to communicate art concepts.
Meanwhile, I"m taking a crash course in Spanish.

Thanks for the advice!
Becky