[teacherartexchange] More on Art Teacher from Texas

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2006 - 13:38:57 PDT

Please forgive me for what seems to be off-topic, but these Vietnam Vets
around here--and I really have no way of knowing if they actually ARE
Vietnam Vets--when they decide they want to help some poor or sick old
woman, they say she's a communist, get her drunk or drug her, take her to
bed, (that's rape when they drug the woman to get her to do it) and then
they dig up her sewer line and replace the pipes. One guy did that to me
and he told me that was exactly what it was like in Vietnam. I had no
choice but to let him help me because I was sick, didn't have a job, had a
child to raise and had a sewer line that didn't work. I don't know what
those people in Vietnam did to make those guys behave that way, to make
those guys wage war on their own people. So why do you think they would
stop for a minute to decide if that was a right or wrong thing to do to a
teacher?

We had teachers in Marin county lose their jobs because they were gotten
pregnant, and one elementary school teacher here in the city I live was
actually stabbed by a man who came on the schoolyard. I don't know what
could have been going through his mind, or even if he had any mind left to
think about what he was doing. We did not get much information about it in
the newspaper. Being a teacher around here is a dangerous job. Maybe those
"Vietnam Vets" were taught by the US Army to be suspicious of women, I don't
know. I know the US press around here was obsessed with getting the Iraqi
women to lower their veils. Maybe they thought some of them were actually
men. The teachers here go out of their way to protect the Iraqis who live
amongst us, and also the Iranians and other middle eastern people. How do
you relate all this to art? I don't know. I just know that with all the
preparation I had for teaching art, I should have been able to get at least
a part time job by now. And plus, I have an English credential for English
through the ninth grade.

Jean Womack
Richmond, CA