[teacherartexchange] Early Childhood Art Education Book

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2006 - 14:34:25 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Folks frequently come to the list asking for advice for pre-K/early childhood.

Jenna - a student in Kathy Douglas' Art Education class at Stonehill
College - posted this to TAB list.

"Art and Creative Development for Young Children," by Robert Schirrmacher.

This book is a great combination of early childhood and art
education. It incorporates early child development with the basic
principles of art through themes surrounding sensory stimulation,
creativity, and self discovery. It is very readable, practical and
provides an opportunity for educators to learn through each of the
chapter summaries, objectives, and review questions. It also
provides a long list of curricular activities that link the premises
of each chapter. For example, in the sensory stimulation chapter,
they're activities that go directly with the traditional five senses
and Montessori's five senses that are easy to carry out within one's
own classroom.
       The beginning of the book opens up with the child
development aspect. The author discusses what early childhood art
should be, and then later discusses how art fosters child
development, by giving a general overview of it. The book then
addresses elements in art, the adult role in children's art and how
the adult plans, implements, and evaluates the curriculum. It then
discusses how to respond to children's art, and provides strategies
to enhance children's artistic development. Next, the last few
chapters share the components and design of art centers, and a
variety of two and three dimensional activities. To close the book,
the appendixes include endless resources, recipes, books, artistic
junk creations, and styles to link art and the early childhood
curriculum together.
       I feel that all early childhood educators could benefit from
this book. I thoroughly enjoyed it because it linked together both
of my majors: early childhood education and psychology. I like how
the book not only was knowledgeable, but it also gave ideas to
implement what was read within one's own classroom. This book will
definitely have a permanent spot on my teaching shelf!
~ Jenna