RE: [teacherartexchange] tie-dye

---------

Laura.Drietz_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Sep 28 2006 - 10:59:11 PDT

I did tie-dye with a 4-h group using the Rainbow Rock dye kits from
Wal-Mart. It still used the soda ash, what I did was at the beginning,
had everyone throw their garments into a bucket. Then I had heavy-duty
cleaning gloves for them to pull the clothes out, wring them out, then
they put them into gallon Ziploc bags. For dyeing, they all wore gloves,
so didn't have to worry about the soda ash solution touching their skin
anyway. The kit I used came with dropper bottles too, that helped keep
"oops" contact with the dye. They took the shirts home in the gallon
Ziploc bags, since we didn't have time to let them dry. (The dye kit
recommended leaving the dye for 6 hours to be the most vivid.) I
recommended leaving them overnight before washing them. The bags to keep
everything in, and the heavy gloves, made it a pretty painless process.

Laura Drietz
Art Teacher
Brookings Middle School
E-mail laura.drietz@k12.sd.us