[teacherartexchange] tie-dye

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2006 - 23:16:09 PDT

Hello teachers,
I was planning to put up a lesson plan for a tie-dye party on my web site,
since I just had one for my church group. However, I wanted to know, how do
you deal with the problem of the toxicity of the soda ash solution that you
have to soak the T-shirts in? I stood at the soda ash tub and people handed
me their tied-up T-shirts and then I pushed them into the solution and later
took them out and wrung them out and handed them back to the person to dye.
However it meant that I could not really do much of anything else during the
event, because I was so busy guarding the soda ash. How do you solve this,
or do you use something else besides Procion dyes? Thanks for your advice
on this.
Jean Womack