Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] non VAPA class

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2006 - 13:39:38 PDT

I am the NCA chair for my district. One thing that must be taken into
account is that in order for a Fine Arts Course to be counted for credit
towards graduation (state requirement) is that it must be taught by a
certified fine arts instructor. This keeps schools from having the
industrial arts teacher have students build a dresser and calling it an arts
class. That might be your argument - if it is a fine arts course there must
be creativity/art history/aesthetics involved, and is it being taught by a
cerified fine arts instructor.
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher

> My school curriculum and instruction just gave approval to a new course
> called "Floral Design and Production" for FINE ARTS credit. I am trying
> to fight this as it should be a "Practical Arts" course not a Fine Arts
> course. If anyone has any experience or suggestions to help our dept fight
> it, please let me know!

To unsubscribe go to