Re: [teacherartexchange] dispositions of art teachers

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (SMILLER_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2006 - 12:23:26 PDT

I really have a problem with the "Civilly and professionally disobedient". Are you serious?

>>> dianegregory@grandecom.net 9/24/2006 12:32 pm >>>
Hi Pam,

There is some discussion about this at Texas Woman's university. There is even
a form that identifies dispositions of future teachers that we
encourage/support. This has been created to allow people (faculty/staff) to
identify students who may not have an "appropriate" disposition to be a
teacher. Of course, this is controversial Nevertheless, it is an attempt to
alert people to particular students who may need to be "counseled" out of
teacher education or identify students who need help.

The kind of dispositions I would like to see are:

inquiring minds, student centered, mindfulness, creativity, resourcefulness,
professional, civily and professionally disobedient, human relation skills,
integrity, ethical, wisdom, compassion, sees both sides, passionate about
teaching and learning.

This is not my exhaustive list, but it is a start. I am not sure I could have
lived up to these dispositions when I was a very immature beginning art
educator at the tender age of 21. Nevertheless, these are my thoughts.

--
Dr. Diane C. Gregory
Associate Professor of Art Education