[teacherartexchange] Re: Input wanted on "blue clouds"…

---------

From: Marta Pinto (marta.martapinto_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2006 - 12:20:30 PDT

Hi Carol,

Yes, some of the students also draw the sun in the corner of their
papers, as they paint trees brown and green, ore draw houses as square
with a triangle on top. I think that what they need is for us art
teachers to awaken their sensitivity to the diversity around us. I
often question them about their drawings, "Why is the sun so shy?",
"If you wanted to draw a beautiful summer day, with the sun very very
hot, how would you do it?", "Imagine your tree being bent by the wind,
what happens to it, what could you see?".

Some students are "scared to draw wrongly", that's something that made
me think how important it is to create a relaxed class ambient, where
they have time to explore various solutions, and above all use their
imagination freely.

«That question about the clouds has been nagging at me for years
because it is so common here and I never noticed it much in other
places I have worked.» A friend of mine also questioned why most
children tend to draw houses like I described before: a square with a
triangle on top! She knows Chinese culture pretty well, and she's
convinced that in China the children don't do so. Well, certainly
culture influences us in many different ways … could this be one
possible answer?

:) Thanks Carol, I'm also having a great time with these connections
with people in other parts of the world! And I'm learning a lot.

Marta (Portugal)