Re: [teacherartexchange] Dispositions

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2006 - 15:23:34 PDT

Wow Pam
It would be hard to add anything to this comprehensive list. What I
worry about in art ed programs is the history and aesthetics
studies. When I look at teacher applications for jobs in my district
there is lots of studio and teacher methods stuff, but little art
history or philosophy.

>> b) How art communicates, challenges, and shapes cultural and
>> societal values
>>
>> c) The role that art has played throughout the world and through time

I see this sadly neglected in undergrad art ed classes. The art
teachers that I know that make the best lessons are "students" of
history. They don't just hit upon artists of interest on the
internet, they have a strong background in the history and the how
and why's. and how to make the connections. I often view resumes
with only one art history course on the transcript. And no
aesthetics courses. I think this is as important as any methods
class. How do we know how art shapes a culture if we are not
studying it?

Patty