[teacherartexchange] Dispositions

---------

From: Pam Stephens (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2006 - 12:56:25 PDT

Here are the dispositions I have been contemplating since our university
teacher prep programs have been undergoing NCATE accreditation. These
dispositions are a part of a 16-page document that ties them to the
Standards for Art Teacher Preparation as defined by the National Art
Education Association and the Arizona Professional Teacher Standards. The
document also includes skills associated with each disposition as well as
assessment process for each.

I would greatly appreciate input about these dispositions.

Pam

===============================

1. Art teacher candidates value:
a) Art making

b) How art communicates, challenges, and shapes cultural and societal values

c) The role that art has played throughout the world and through time

2. Art teacher candidates value:
Meaningful art-based learning

3. Art teacher candidates value:
Diverse characteristics of student abilities and learning styles

4. Art teacher candidates value:
Unique backgrounds, abilities, and interests of all students

5. Art teacher candidates value:
Their students' cognitive, artistic, emotional, and physical development

6. Art teacher candidates value:
Curriculum that is reflective of the goals and purposes of comprehensive art
education

7. Art teacher candidates value:
Comprehensive, art-based curricula

8. Art teacher candidates value:
a) The content of art as essential to curriculum decisions

b) Problem-solving abilities of their students

c) Career options in the visual arts

d) Publicly sharing curriculum goals

9. Art teacher candidates value:
Comprehensive art education

10. Art teacher candidates value:
a) Diversity among their students

b) Fairness and equity among their students

11. Art teacher candidates value:
a) Careful short-term and long-term planning

b) Well-developed teaching methods and practices

c) Multiple ways of understanding works of art

11. Art teacher candidates value:
a) Good teaching

b) Mentorship

c) Professional development opportunities

d) New ways of teaching

e) Recognize the value of teachers as researchers

12. Art teacher candidates value:
Instructional collaboration with other teachers

13. Art teacher candidates value:
a) Assessment as an instructional tool

b) Individuality of students

c) Individual responses

13. Art teacher candidates value:
a) Reflection

b) Objective self-examination

c) Qualified advice and constructive criticism from colleagues, supervisors,
and administrators

14. Art teacher candidates value:
Passion and power of the visual arts

15. Art teacher candidates value:
a) Documenting their growth as teachers

b) Communicating the vital roles that art plays in education

16. Art teacher candidates value:
Their role as contributors and leaders in art and education communities

17. Art teacher candidates value:
a) The history of art educations

b) Professional memberships

c) Professional development

d) Contributing to the profession through presentations, publications, and
other outlets

e) Research in art education