Re: [teacherartexchange] blue clouds

---------

dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Sep 24 2006 - 11:37:11 PDT

Ah Rhoda Kellogg....that is a name that brings back warm fuzzy memories. I used
a lot of her research and ideas on how children teach themselves how to draw in
my dissertation. I have great admiration for her dedication and contributions.

I am concerned about the direction of our profession...is anybody else
concerned? Am I just getting older and out of date here...or is the Visual
Culture approach taking us to a place we might not want to go? Does anybody
else think about these things?

I think about my own majors and our degree plans. They certainly are not being
educated in mass culture or popular culture. They participate in it to some
extent (remember this is Denton, Texas :-) They are not being educated in
sociology or anthropology to any great extent. In fact, the degree is a BA,
rather than a BS. So I guess on top of everything else that art teacher
educators are supposed to teach, they have to introduce the content of Visual
Culture. Geeshhh. I barely have time to do the minimum... Also, the state of
Texas, in all of its magnificent glory, still requires that we teach art
history, aesthetics, criticism and art studio. So on the one hand the
profession is leading us in one way and the state is telling us to go another
way. Art Teacher Educators are caught in the middle and my students are close
by.

Quoting twoducks@aol.com: