Re: [teacherartexchange] blue clouds

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2006 - 10:49:39 PDT

On Sep 24, 2006, at 11:41 AM, Jerry Vilenski wrote:

> I always try to remind myself that creating the
> illusion of reality on a two dimensional surface is a
> very abstract way of making art. It involves both the
> artist's perceptions as well as the viewer's. Our
> young artists seem to percieve the world more like
> David Hockney than Andrew Whyeth at this stage of
> their development!

Right on Jerry

I spend a lot of time dealing with the illusion and perception-- it's
all so "not right."

And how do we get the kids to see their perception as valid and then
precede to making art?

Who cares if the clouds are blue or red? Why did you make the
choice is the question? What did you see?
Trees are not brown and green-- what do you see?
  I'm looking out my window right now and those clouds are not white.
What is the sky? what is a cloud?

It boggles me as to why we want to push to conventions and not
nurture the inherit perceptions.
Look and find the wonderful insights the little ones make with the
"rule breaking." It's the only way we can make artists.

Patty