Re:[teacherartexchange] blue clouds

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilenski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2006 - 08:41:41 PDT

I actually think that kids color their clouds blue as
part of a thinly-veiled national conspiracy to use up
all the blue markers in the world! Just kidding. I
agree with the contributers that think this is a
developmental stage regarding clouds. I am also
constantly trying to work with kids who are convinced
that skies are a strip at the top of a page, that
there is no other colored sky than blue, and grass
that is inches under objects on a page, causing them
to float. Kids also like to repeat successes, so there
is an element of that in their artwork.
  I have been teaching art longer than I care to think
about, and I find it is the exception, not the rule,
to find students who percieve the world the way an
adult does. I have observed, however, as students get
older, they tend to recognize how to render the
elements of a picture in ways that show a different
use of space, form and color, and they tend to use a
less symbolic aproach to their own artwork. It is part
of the maturation process that everyone goes through,
and fans of Lowenfeld can feel vindicated that he was
correct in his observations.

I always try to remind myself that creating the
illusion of reality on a two dimensional surface is a
very abstract way of making art. It involves both the
artist's perceptions as well as the viewer's. Our
young artists seem to percieve the world more like
David Hockney than Andrew Whyeth at this stage of
their development!