[teacherartexchange] "new-to-me" artist: Walter Anderson

---------

From: Amy Broady (AmyBroady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2006 - 07:03:45 PDT

My family and I went to Books-A-Million tonight, and as I wandered
blissfully down the art aisle, a book caught me eye. It was filled with
wondrous things--drawing, paintings, ceramics. And it was all about southern
artist Walter Inglis Anderson. Are any of you familiar with him? You can
find some wonderful books if you enter his name in an Amazon search.

Here is just one link to introduce you to this fascinating artist.

http://www.walterandersonmuseum.org/

Are any of you familiar with him? Have you ever incorparated his work into
any lessons?

In many ways he reminds me of Van Gogh--he was unbelievably prolific and
also suffered mental illness.

His family situation is also of interest. From the little that I have read,
I am of the impression that they run a pottery business and also strive to
maintain the artistic legacy he left behind. I think they also run a
printshop. Unfortunately, Katrina was very unkind to them and their family
estate.

I must order some of the books I have discovered and learn more about him. I
am utterly charmed by his work. I think children will love his work, as
well.

Amy in soggy Knoxville, TN
While today was unbelievably wet, Thursday was a PERFECT day for our
Pinwheels for Peace installation! The kids loved it. And I got them all up
Thursday evening before the rains began.