Re: [teacherartexchange] Input wanted on "blue clouds", are they common in other parts of the country?

---------

From: Betty B (bettycarol_40_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2006 - 06:50:20 PDT

Funny you should ask. I teach middle school art, and
my students have no art in elementary, and their
pictures are pretty much second grade level, and they
make blue clouds too. I asked one last week why his
clouds were blue, and he said "that's what color
clouds are" and I said "thats great, we really need
rain, so I'm glad you're making rain clouds". no, they
weren't rain clouds he said, so I asked "and what
color are you going to make the sky?" and it was kind
of funny because you could see the little light go on
in his head - but then he said "oh. I messed up. can I
throw this away?" That was not the reponse I was going
for, so now I just don't ask and hope that as we look
at pictures and work on observation they grow out of
it. I also think, as I close the watercolor station
and open acrylics, it will be easier, since we will
move away from "coloring things in" and move into
painting in layers. So the sky will go down first, probably.