Re: [teacherartexchange] Input wanted on "blue clouds", are they common in other parts of the country?

---------

dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Sep 23 2006 - 14:26:35 PDT

Patricia Knott asked this question: Is there anywhere a class that just
dissects ART teaching theories? Her question seems to come out of a concern
that we are sometimes just taught methods without understanding from where
these methods come? I have had the same concerns, so in my undergraduate and
graduate classes, these issues are covered. It takes time and some would say
it takes away from pragmatic concerns. But I agree with Patricia...it is
important to have a thorough understanding of the reasoning and validity behind
art education methods and practices. But I love this stuff and I am a
university professor who does not face the constant realities of the ec-12 art
classroom. I have to face the realities of the undergraduate and graduate
classroom (online and face to face) which is altoghether another beast. There
is a big difference. I know. I have done both. :-)

I try to do this throughout my undergraduate and graduate program in art
education. I can't cover them all but I do cover the following approaches or
theories as it relates to curriculum development in art education: child
centered approach, studio approach, discipline-based art education, visual
culture, and art, culture & environment. I do try to represent them accurately
in their "pure" state. Most students and teachers "confess" to me that they
practice and believe in a blending of all of these approaches.

I teach a graduate online course in curriculum and instruction in which we
explore these philosophies and approaches. We also cover them in an online
graduate course on the history and philosophy of art education from a
historical and cultural perspective. Through it all most of my students seem
to begin to have faith that they can invent their own methods based upon a
solid grounding in the learning and theory of art education. Many of their
approaches are quite creative personal solutions that have evolved out their
own experiences and ideas based on these theories.

I, for one, still introduce students to the stages of artisitic development as
explained by Viktor Lowenfeld. Although I do explain other approaches as well.
I do continue to support some of his ideas on child centered art education and
his emphasis on creativity. I have reconceptualized them over the years into
my own brand of Lowenfeldian principles. Nevertheless, I can trace them back
to his influence on my own art education theory development.

Cheers,

Diane

--
Dr. Diane C. Gregory