Re: [teacherartexchange] Input wanted on "blue clouds", are they common in other parts of the country?

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 23 2006 - 14:04:50 PDT

On Sep 23, 2006, at 3:58 PM, dianegregory@grandecom.net wrote:

> I am not sure Lowenfeld's Creative and Mental Growth is even
> discussed much in
> undergraduate and graduate courses anymore. Many people felt he
> was the
> "father" of art education. Also, some felt he was the "mother" of art
> education because his approach was so nurturing. As a third
> generation
> Lowenfeld art educator, I attribute some of my current beliefs and
> practices to
> him. Here's to Lowenfeld. :-)

Wow
would that be a great topic for somebody's thesis. --- What is
mothering art and what is fathering?.
I wonder too, how much Lowenfeld is a part of undergrad Art Ed theory
classes. I suspect not too much. Seems to me what the teaching is
about today is methods with little understanding of how we get to the
methods. Is there anywhere a class that just dissects ART teaching
theories? I truly think we have to take a few steps back and
understand that no matter what we present as lessons there ARE stages
of development.

As I weed through posts and questions, I often wonder-- do you
really understand how a child progresses through...? Some day I may
write the paper on the "multiple intelligences" in art making.

Everybody would be well served to revisit Lowenfeld.

Patty