Re: [teacherartexchange] US History through Art

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2006 - 10:18:23 PDT

Greetings Debbie,

I would recommend you get your hands on a book on American Art. The
text I used for my American Art History class was by Green (I didn't
find it available on line).

Smithsonian American Art Museum has put out a new book and companion
web site - America's Art:
http://americanart.si.edu/americas_art

This was posted in Scout Report (copyright 2006)

14. America's Art
http://americanart.si.edu/americas_art

This companion Web site to a new book of the same title from the Smithsonian
American Art Museum (SAAM) will serve many readers as well as the book
itself. While the web site lacks the large-size, printed reproductions of
artwork and introductory texts of the book, it never the less provides
reasonable screen resolution images of all of the 225 works reproduced in
the book. The web site is organized into 16 chapters, starting with "From
Distant Shores", which contains artwork documenting the immigrant
experience, and ending with "Toward the Millennium", which is artwork
created in the last 20 years of the Twentieth Century. .....[DS]
---------------------------
Chapters are organized by theme - somewhat in chronological order.

You will find additional resources for American Art listed on these pages:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/artists.htm
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/america.htm

Some good sources for Pre-Colombian Art:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/precolum.htm

Some good sources for Native American Art:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/diversit.htm

Some sources for Mexican Art:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/mexico.htm

I don't have much listed for South America - See Universe in Universes site.

Remember to use authentic materials when teaching Native Arts and Crafts.
There should be no toilet paper roll Kachinas or paper towel roll totem poles.
If you want some help with some specific Native American lessons,
please post the cultures you wish to study.

You might want to the students to act out some famous paintings that
document US History events. This idea is presented on History Alive
web site.
http://www.historyalive.com/
I don't remember how I got to it (that was several years ago).

We can help you brainstorm if you would break it down into which time
periods and cultures you are interested in.

Make your own time line of American art to display outside your room
as you progress throughout the year. Students can add to it using
pre-selected web resources.

Regards,

Judy Decker