Re:[teacherartexchange] surrrealism

---------

From: Betty B (bettycarol_40_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2006 - 09:53:43 PDT

My middle schoolers love surrealism - except for the
ones who are uncomfortable with anything "weird".

But when it comes to DOING surrealism, collage has by
far been the most successful, Smithsoniam magazines
are my favorite (although rare) collage material
source, and of all techniques, this is the only one I
would say has really related to how smart the kid is.
The best surrealist collages have come from the
brainiest kids. True humor/irony/satire takes some
smarts.

Another thing I like to do is print out a whole bunch
of copies of the Sistine Chapel creation of Adam (just
the hands, which they cut apart and use individually),
and Hokusai's wave, and Mona Lisa and the Scream - the
usual things they see a million times. They really
enjoy putting those object in unusual situations.