Re: [teacherartexchange] Erasers@#?$!

---------

From: Eileen Ellis (iforget000_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2006 - 20:27:19 PDT

I buy Ticonderoga hard and extra hard pencils.
It's pretty difficult to draw a super dark line with an extra
hard pencil. I do let them use the magic rub erasers and they
have to be counted at the end of class. If you drop it, you lose it.
If you fling it there is a consequence.

I'm sorry folks I believe in letting them erase unless it becomes a habit.
Then I am like a spy! They can't get rid of me even from across the room.
Kinders are often very upset if a little erasing isn't allowed.

If I had money I would buy the Staedtler erasers. I actually buy two boxes of
the Magic Rubs and then cut them in half. I get twice the amount of erasers (48)
to pass out and it ruins the fun of breaking them in half for the
DEMOLITION kids!
You always have to be a step ahead.

My next brilliant move is going to be a
lost n found box with all broken pencils and empty glue sticks (labeled
inside as mine). I will put the real lost
n found box behind my desk. I can play pranks too! I teach at a private school
and I have kids who are just too lazy to bring in their art supplies
from their bookbags.
The other students get tired of letting them borrow. Junior High
students are not to borrow.

I am sure there will be an equally brilliant retaliation but at least
the kids know it is all
in good fun! It's just an I gotcha! I can't wait for someone to try
borrowing from the new lost and found. It will only work one time then
the word will get out!

Did you read about the teacher who has lots of borrow pencils that she
keeps on her desk but each one has a giant fake flower taped to the
eraser end? There are also teachers who will loan out pencils and
pens if they get something in return. Students have to give up a shoe
or calculator or something else of value.

Eileen in Ohio