RE:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: September 18, 2006

---------

From: Maureen (mmorris_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2006 - 13:03:04 PDT

"To erase or not to erase"
I certainly agree that the erasers can create much drama in the art class.
Giving out erasers is like giving out candy, they disappear as quick as you
give them. Instead, I teach my students the concept of using "sketch lines"
before they make final decisions on drawing. It takes practice, even for
older students, to get this concept. I explain that light sketch lines are
easier to erase and, often, it is not necessary to erase the sketch lines
because they will eventually disappear or simply become part of the history
of the drawing. As we all know, incessant erasing lifts the paper and can to
the point of its destruction. I reinforce this practice through
demonstration and talk out loud so that students know my thinking processes.
I know that this all sounds familiar; it is sometimes easy for me to forget.
As a college professor often professed, "Recognition through Correction". I
get it!