[teacherartexchange] digital artist demonstrating diverse talent

---------

From: Jen Ellis (just.jen.ellis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2006 - 16:29:10 PDT

Hi Everyone-

This artist is one that uses digital in a way that combines all
different types of mediums and skills. This is the way technology is
moving.

http://gigxl.com/

This is a colleague of mine from undergrad. Anything 2004 and under
was done in school. 2005-2006 work was done at the corporate level.

He is concept to completion. Meaning he creates all scripting, 3d
animation, 2d animation, drawings, and video. He usually works with
musicians to lay a score. He combines all elements himself to create
the final product.

There is one project called "Mingus" which was an experiment using a
program to sync pre-made particles with live music.

Check it out. I'd preview before showing to students though. (some of
his stuff is for MTV and I am not sure if it would be "appropriate")
As you will see it is not just about scanning in some pictures and
popping in a few filters.

Oh and I am not trying to intimidate anyone. He had never even used
photoshop until 2001, and you can see how much he learned in
combination with other programs in a short time. But I guess-its all
about drive-if the student wants to create and has the tools-they will
learn.

(Videos require quicktime)

Enjoy-

Jen Ellis