[teacherartexchange] Erasers@#?$!

---------

From: leah from work (leah_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2006 - 08:15:21 PDT

> #1 ERASER - Staedler-Mars white vinyl. A good eraser is the best
> psychological defense against the debilitating fear of mistakes. I may be
> best to teach students to wait until they have found the correct line
> before erasing. I saw this well illustrated in an early Picasso
> self-portrait.

I have been fighting the eraser wars for 6 years now - and this year I have
started the ERASER FREE ZONE... I wonder if I am not making a big mistake.

When I had regular pencils with erasers - (which were horrible anyway) kids
squabbled over which pencils had an eraser - when I put out seperate erasers
they were used for everything from mini footballs to nose and ear plugs
(don't ask).

I find they ruin the drawing surface anyway - and spend huge amounts of
breath explaining to my kids the benefit of drawing lightly - we even start
EVERY project with a "light line contest" (who can draw so lightly you can
barely see it).

Last year I discovered Ticonderoga 308 No. 2/HB big fat pencils which come
with NO ERASER - and took this as a sign - that I should eliminate erasers
from my classroom..

We have discussed various options for dealing with "mistakes" such as
incorporating it into the design - ignoring the offending line as it will be
colored over later - and as the very last resort (the other side of the
paper!).

So far - there has been minimal drama, and my kids are starting to draw
lightly instead of digging into their paper with their pencils, and then
shredding the surface with the easers - but now I fear I may be damaging
their delicate collective psyche by not allowing for mistakes....

any thoughts?