Re: [teacherartexchange] Ambient noise

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2006 - 16:12:11 PDT

Chris, I have done a lesson like this with some out-of-control
classes, and they didn't do too badly. I think they were shocked that
I actually took them outside. They liked it so well that that became
a bargaining chip. If they were good for X amount of days, they knew
we would do another outdoor (or gymnasium) assignment.

If you can, round up a parent or two (or a teacher or administrator
who will help) and divide the class into groups. then spread the
groups out and keep kids who feed off each others' bad behavior apart.
 Then do the assignment.

It's so much better to do this sort of thing outdoors.

Another thought is that maybe these kids arent' getting enough
physical activity. Kids at that age need to move constantly --
sitting in classes all day is torture. Maybe find another outdoor
assignment that will allow them to blow off some steam? I had a lot
of fun doing "texture scavenger hunts" with some of my craziest
classes. They had a blast running to capture all the textures, then
later on we cut them up and made collages with them. The end result
was really cool!

Good luck!

Becky