Re: [teacherartexchange] Favorite Art Supplies

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2006 - 19:20:36 PDT

The magazine transfers are simple. Different mags work differently...
I have better luck with thinner, glossy paper (like Newsweek) than
with thicker paper. Non-glossy paper doesn't work at all.

Here's how to do it:

1. Make a collage of magazine pictures on a flat surface.
2. Carefully, place the magazine cut-outs picture-side-to-sticky-side
on the contact paper.
3. Burnish the clear side of the contact paper with fingernails to
get all the air out -- it should look really clear, not filmy.
4. Submerge the contact paper (with the pictures stuck to it) into
warm, slightly sudsy water.
5. Soak for about 10 min, then start peeling the paper off. (You may
want to re-wet it, if the paper doesn't come off easily.)
6. Contact paper will still be sticky, most of the time, and the
image will be transparent. You can mount it to paper or place items
behind it. I like the way it looks with shiny things behind it.
7. Here's a photo of one I did a long time ago:
http://mamallama.smugmug.com/photos/1224487-M.jpg

Enjoy!
Becky