[teacherartexchange] Get them hooked: Paper sculpture/ line design Lesson

---------

From: Julie Jacobusse (JacobusseJulie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2006 - 08:22:16 PDT

One lesson I did that looked great in the halls and administrators loved:

Grades 3-5:

Materials:
9x12 drawing paper or Bristol paper
Markers
Sharpies
Pencils
Scissors
9X12 Black Drawing paper

Procedures:
Talk about different types of lines with the students and draw them on
the board while discussing. (If a student mentions a circle-that is a
type of line, a continuous line-another name for a circle-students found
that interesting.) Show teacher example of how to draw big open shapes
with sharpie on 9x12 paper. They should be organic shapes that are
closed and connect together-they should fill up most of the paper.
Shapes that are smaller than a quarter do not work well-they have to be
able to draw different lines and patterns inside them. Next step show
them an example of big open shapes with different patterns, and
different lines in each of the shapes. (Many students like to just
color in each shape a solid color, discourage that-it does not look as
interesting.) Lastly show them the example of a paper sculpture that is
stapled to the black paper. Students then write their names of back of
white 9x12 paper in pencil and then use sharpies to draw big open shapes
on paper. (If students use markers to write their names it bleeds
through.) Next, they begin using colored markers to make different
patterns inside the shapes. Each shape should have a different pattern,
and use different colors. Once the design is complete, they cut around
the perimeter of their designs out of the 9x12 paper. They then chose
3-4 spots and cut into their designs leaving about 1" between the cuts
to keep the whole design as a solid piece of paper. I stapled one spot
of their design onto the 9x12 black paper. I then moved the design
around and asked the students if they wanted it to go up, or down-and
began stapling the cut pieces around making a 3-D sculpture out of a 2-D
design. (I found if the students did the stapling, they had a lot of
problems with it.) Students loved the looks of their paper sculptures,
so did their teachers and the administration. They look interesting
hanging on the walls. One other option-you can laminate their designs
before stapling to add strength to their sculptures, or use the bristol
paper if you have it. (I actually laminated my teacher example so it
would remain durable to keep for other lessons.) I just used regular
paper and it still worked well.

Enjoy,
Julie Jacobusse-Georgia

PS~I will take some pictures of the sculptures and send them to people
who are interested.