[teacherartexchange] Pinwheels -- oy!

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2006 - 15:09:57 PDT

Right, so we can't do the pinwheels. I met with my principal, and she
was very apologetic and I could tell she was genuinely disappointed
with the decision. She is all about peace, so I thought this project
would be perfect. The prayers she selects each morning are always
about peace and tolerance.

I understand her position, though. Ours is a very exclusive private
school, and unfortunately, that means we deal with a lot of parents
who hold political office, and who are higher-ups in the local
military system. The school has to work very hard to remain neutral
(or at least keep the appearance of being politically neutral) in
order to not start drama with these parents. She said it's gotten so
bad in recent years that parents called the school to complain about a
peace sign on a kids' social studies fair project in a photo on the
school's webpage. Some of them raised hell when we admitted a few
students whose parents are outspoken members of the Muslim faith.
It's THAT bad.

It's really sad that, somehow, the ideal of "peace" had become
mutually exclusive to "patriotism" in this country. It's kind of
scary, if you think about it. If "peace" is the opposite of whatever
we're supposed to be in this country, that's a scary situation. I
don't want to live in a country where "peace" is a bad word.

So, yeah, I'm really bummed. REALLY bummed. The only consolation
that I have is that some students have decided to take this project on
themselves and do it outside of the school. That makes me feel like
there is hope for this country. There are people who want peace, even
if it isn't politically correct.

Becky