RE:[teacherartexchange] art for Kindergarten

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2006 - 06:10:11 PDT

>Hi Everyone,
>I am starting to be a volunteer art teacher in my daughters public school
>kindergarten class . . .
>lisa@lisarobins.com
>
>Any ideas would be sooooooooo helpful. This public school does not currently
>have an art teacher.
>Thank you very much!
Sincerely Lisa Robins

Lisa,

I have posted quite a bit of material for preschool age. If you are an artist that has been asked teach art because of your art ability and interest, please read the what these pages say about teaching art to young children. They have immense potential. They are very imaginative and creative, but some are also very prone to shut down if we are not careful. Unfortunately, a few come to school after being shut down at home by over demanding or thoughtless adults. Most art teachers do very well, but I still often see teachers that have not studied the research in art education. They are using canned art lessons and projects that make kids think that only adults know how things should look. These lessons teach kids NOT to think or see for themselves. These projects teach kids that they are NOT to express their own ideas.

Our own three children were encouraged to color their own pictures drawn from their own experiences, observations, and imaginations. They were NEVER given coloring books. They designed their own ideas. No pre-designed projects. Their home influences overcame a few unfortunate lessons in school--but they also had some very good teachers. As adults, they can think for themselves. Two are award winning creative scientists and the third is a successful writer.

Research shows that the typical 5 year old is very good at divergent thinking, but most of this flexible thinking ability is lost within a few years. Too often schools and parents squelch their imaginations. Schools can easily fail to teach thinking and drawing skills that young children need to continue to move confidently through school to become independent adults. At age 5 and 6 they need to feel that they know how to think, experiment, learn, construct their own knowledge, and express their ideas without mimicking adult projects that only give expert answers instead of the meaningful questions.

This page has the links:

Look at the links in the section called:
GROWING the PRESCHOOL MIND (in the right column)
Titles for Preschool:
Scribbling on the Wall
How to Draw an Orchid at age 4
Preschool Art - letter to preschool teacher
Preschool, Kindergarten, and Art
Scribbling is a good thing
Drawing at age 5
Typical Drawings