RE:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: September 09, 2006

---------

From: Maureen (mmorris_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2006 - 09:35:41 PDT

Ahh! The other, most, long lived controversy in art, nudes. I am not sure
what people are suggesting here, how young is too young for drawing classes
that feature nude models? While I was in school earning my bachelors in art,
a professor proposed an assignment that was telling. He told us to create
drawings/ drawing that reflected the differences between what we thought of
nudity vs. nakedness. I drew myself reclining. I was naked save for a cloth
that covered my hip area, hidden was my pubic and bum. My idea centered on
the concept of vulnerability. Nude was without clothes, the covered part
suggested that I felt vulnerable (naked). My drawing was the only one of its
kind. The other students had perceived naked as sexual. Most of them, if not
all, were men. I am talking about adults, ages 22-80. Can we ever get around
it? I agree, I think the media has a lot to do with it, especially how it
segregates men and women. Women's nudity serves a purpose, it is either seen
as "natural" or it simply pleases the eye of man "le oeuvre". Men's
sexuality is obscene with predator like assumptions. Any way, the psychology
is out there in terms of what I am trying to say. Are high school student
too young? Probably. Are college students too young, some of them are
because they lack maturity in certain thought processes? Should it be kept
from them? Is nudity important to the study of figure as it relates to
drawing, I think so. I live in a state where the legislature tries shut
figure drawing classes down that have nude models. For those that are
offended, they should not have to take the class. I guess.