Re: [teacherartexchange] peter panse

---------

lpapanicolaou_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Sep 09 2006 - 13:10:07 PDT

My objection to nude models is that it reinforces a very prevalent popular notion among both the general public and unfortunately among the members of the art community itself that the nude female body in certain coy poses is a signifier of 'Art'. The last figure drawing class I took was in the Continuing Studies program at Stanford and the course description said that there would be both male and female nude models, singly and in groups. Well, the females were a pair of dancers totally nude who spent the class period entwining themselves like that Ingres painting of a Turkish harem in the bath. The only male was the sole model that night and--guess what?--he had a codpiece. Ya think this is a double standard?

Linda