Re: [teacherartexchange] Political Opinions & Art Assignments

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 09 2006 - 06:18:29 PDT

More people really need to be involved in national politics, but there are other forums specifically for this. In my opinion this group is better off focusing on the methods, problems, and politics of schools and classrooms as they relate to the teaching and learning of art. Of course everything is connected to everything else, but If the group is side-tracked too much into national politics, those who come here for ideas about teaching art will tune out.

What if this group would discuss the merits and methods of a topic centered art assignment related to the pros and cons of living in a diverse vs. a homogeneous neighborhood?

Does anybody teach such an assignment? What works? What problems do you encounter? What guidelines are useful when dealing with controversial issues? What does art teach about the difficulties and merits of diversity and about tolerance? How can we help our students learn to understand politics, survival, and success in life through their art? How does the socioeconomic make-up of the school relate to the success of such an assignment?

Marvin

Art can be about anything--even the opposite of the cliche.