[teacherartexchange] art trading cards

---------

From: Elizabeth Heisey (elizhiz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 09 2006 - 04:24:05 PDT

Yes, 180 is a lot of cards. We have semester classes,
though...remember I am doing this originally b/c I
felt that students didn't have a good habit for 'art
homework'. So at some point I plan to up the ante a
little--sketching on a card or from the cards, other
prep for classroom work.
When we first started, I showed them my deck. I
described how I sort them different ways, according to
how they seem to group together. Some are just a
photo; a visual record for a future painting. I have
photos of several of my own painting concentrations. I
have source materials that relate to those. There are
several paintings in series within those
concentrations that vary drastically.
I personally love having things on paper that have
been compelling to me. Even if the work doesn't get
completed, at least I have this small record.
It seems like their cards are more brainstorming
oriented but I think that for their youth that is
okay--an in fact, important. Getting back to the
180--I would actually love to have for myself 180
compelling images to sort, compare, edit, draw from.
So, as I think about it, I think I might press them
for pictures of past art, as well as the wild
brainstorming. They could take pictures of their art
at home.
Another aspect, relating to AP more, would be to talk
about all the different types of themes that develop
into concentrations--current movies, influential
books, other cultural images for HS students that seem
ever-present. More cultural.
Beth