Re: [teacherartexchange] arts return to San Francisco, Teaching is Politcal!

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2006 - 19:11:30 PDT

On Sep 8, 2006, at 7:39 PM, leah rachlis wrote:

> I did not realize AT ALL what a statement it is to be a teacher
> until I read: "I Won't Learn from You": And Other Thoughts on
> Creative Maladjustment by Herbert R. Kohl. Oh, MY! How could we
> think teaching is anything but political. The future of our
> country (and the world) is in my classroom every single day! For
> hours at a time! What better way to work for PEACE than to teach
> ALL our children to think for themselves and do a better job with
> the world than we have...
>
> (as my High Schoolers would say -in a variety of languages)
>
> Peace Out!

Dear Leah,
        Before I became a teacher (that was 1976) I was involved in
politics. (Social justice, the war, labor unions, etc.)
That was when I worked for a living on an assembly line. I've always
been very political.
I was even a delegate to a national political convention (1972) guess
which one. Of course that was before most
of you were born. I found the classroom a more effective way to
pursue my politics. I hope I had an impact on
a lot of young minds. I worked to help change our school board along
the way. Teaching is a political activity.
If some teachers don't understand that, I'm sorry for them.
        You are in Colorado Springs. My cuz retired from teaching and moved
there. She is very political. Of course
our politics differ a lot, or at least they did till Bush decided to
take on the whole world. Now we see very much
alike. Teachers just can't get away for being political. Aren't you
glad you moved west. Love those mountains.
                                                                                        Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons