Re: [teacherartexchange] idea cards: Woody

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2006 - 16:40:52 PDT

If you like the playing card idea (they sound similiar to altered trading
cards) there is a project I did with my students that was very successful.
After studying images of playing cards - some are VERY elaborate and the
historical images are fascinating - each student creates a playing card of
their own. I took cardstock and cut it to 5.5"x 8.5" - then stamped the
symbols on them so I ended up with an entire deck. As students created their
cards they scanned them onto the computer. I digitally shrunk them to 2.5"x
3.5" - the standard size of a playing card, and put them on a word document.
I then posted the documents to a web page, and students were able to go to
the site and print off a deck if they wanted them. We lost that school
website, but the kids really enjoyed it. I later did this online by creating
a Yahoo group and artists signed up for the cards they wanted and then
posted them to the site when they were finished. It was a fun way to "share"
artwork, and students were able to keep their own artwork. I let them work
abit larger since even the 5.5 x 8.5" was smaller than they were used to
working. I did offer to print a deck of cards for any student who brought me
$3 to help pay for ink and cardstock.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids